Rice with Seafood - Original Recipe Step by Step
Rice is the basis for the preparation of Peruvian gastronomy, as are all the products of the sea that are found along the entire coast. And a perfect culinary creation is the rice with seafood, one of the favorite dishes of all Peruvians. This dish is characterized by being an explosion of color and flavor, and is usually served as a main course at lunchtime.
History of rice with seafood
The main ingredient of this preparation is rice, which came to American lands with the Spanish. However, in Peru this product developed with the arrival of the Chinese who settled on the coast of Peru and dedicated themselves to its cultivation.
And thanks to its abundance, an infinity of dishes were created that were complemented with seafood and products very typical of Peru. This is how rice with seafood is born.
In its beginnings, this dish was prepared fundamentally in Peruvian ports, but over the years it became popular and spread throughout the territory, reaching every corner of homes and restaurants.
How to make seafood rice
Rice with seafood is a typical Peruvian dish and is made with a mixture of fresh seafood from the Pacific coast and with other characteristic ingredients of Peru such as yellow chili and panca chili.
Its secret lies in making the rice separately, in taking care of the cooking times of each sea product and in making an excellent dressing. So at the end when everything comes together, not only will the flavor of each ingredient stand out, but the texture will be ideal.
Rice with seafood recipe
This time we wanted to bring you a super easy and quick recipe for this great dish for you to carry out. This preparation is ideal to share with friends and family in a delicious Sunday lunch. Let's go step by step.
portions: 6 persons
calories: 325 calories
- 1 kilo of grained white rice
- 100 grams of prawns
- ½ dozen clams
- 1 dozen shells
- ½ dozen choros (mussels)
- ¼ kilo of squid
- ¼ kilo of octopus
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 3 tablespoons of panca chili
- 3 tablespoons ground yellow pepper
- ½ cup of precooked peas
- 2 lemons
- Fish broth or choros c/n
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The first thing you should do is the rice. Surely you already have your own method to do it, so get to work. The important thing for this preparation is that the rice must be grained.
- While the rice is cooking, clean the prawns and shells. Then pass them through boiling water for a minute, strain them and reserve.
- On the other hand, place the mussels and clams in a pot in abundant water until they are covered, with a little salt and pepper. Let cook until the broth is reduced to a cup. Booking.
- Now, it is time to prepare the dressing. Heat a frying pan with a splash of oil, add the onion, the garlic, the peas. Brown for a few minutes until the onion turns transparent. Add ½ cup of the mussel broth.
- When the peas are at their point, add the yellow pepper, the panca pepper, the tomato paste and mix everything very well.
- Next, add the squid, clams, and octopus and cook for a few minutes until the octopus and squid soften.
- Add the cooked rice and mussels, prawns and shells. Integrate everything perfectly and rectify the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve the rice in a large bowl and decorate with a coriander. It distributes the shellfish very well throughout the dish. Accompany with a few pieces of lemon.
Tips or advice to make rice with seafood
- Take good care of the cooking time of each shellfish so that they do not remain hard. In the case of octopus, squid and clams, they usually only need 5 minutes of cooking, but that will depend on the quantity. For their part, prawns and shells require less time. The important thing is to watch them so they don't overdo it and get hard.
- Half of the fish or mussels broth can be replaced with leche de tigre. The flavor is greatly enhanced.
- When preparing the rice, you can replace the water with fish stock.
- Green vegetables can be added to add more color to the dish.
- This dish should be eaten right away to enjoy the flavor of seafood in all its splendor. It is not recommended to store it and reheat it.